Wednesday, August 5, 2009

#13 Tagging

My first experience with tagging was with Delicious and I was just feeling uncomfortable about the entire concept. After all how could people just pull words out of the air and attach meaning to a website??? I like a controlled vocabulary for many different reasons such as authority control, stemming etc.

Now when I post new messages to blogs, I see there is a place to enter tags so tagging is really the rule for 2.0. I am still shy about doing it but I have entered a few tags in my books reviews for Shelfari.

As far as using it in my library, I think its going to happen no matter what. We are incorporating blogs with the students and advocating Shelfari to the reading classes so students will just be adding tags in a matter of time. I get a little fearful about that to be honest. How do you think an 8th grader would tag a book review he/she wrote on the Graveyard by Neil Gaiman. You might get "scary" or "spooky" certainly not "horror" or "mystery". I just need to overcome my fears as a librarian and learn to embrace the positive aspects of it which is creating a community of users who want to share their subject labels on various web content.

No comments:

Post a Comment